Coronavirus Guidance & Information

As at 14th February 2020, 10.40am NZST.

This page will be updated as more information comes through to us. If there is more information you wish to see or if you have any questions, please contact us via email ( Thank you.

Support for affected students

I am unable to return to New Zealand due to the travel ban. What should I do?

If you are affected by the travel ban and are unable to return to New Zealand, please immediately inform your education provider. This is important so that your education provider can ensure you are receiving appropriate and adequate support.

Most education providers are using online forms to register students affected by the travel ban. This is to ensure students are put in touch with someone who can assist with their specific concerns and provide appropriate forms of support. Please refer to your education provider’s website for more information.

Who should I contact about visa or accommodation issues?

If you are facing visa issues or accommodation issues due to the travel ban, please email us* and inform your education provider. As the situation develops, education providers may not be aware of certain arising issues and need to be kept up-to-date.

For specific coronavirus related immigration queries, contact the Immigration Contact Centre on 0508 225 288 (within NZ) or +64 9 952 1679 (outside NZ).

What is NZISA doing to support students affected by the travel ban?

NZISA is in contact with the Ministry of Education and Immigration New Zealand regarding any issues arising due to the travel ban. NZISA is also working with members of our Representative Council to monitor support provisions and progress on an institutional-level.

* Please note that any information provided to us may be shared with the Ministry of Education and Immigration New Zealand. This is so they are informed on issues faced by international students due to the coronavirus outbreak. We do not share any private or personal information pertaining to students.

International students in self-isolation

What is self-isolation?

According to the Ministry of Health, self-isolation means staying away from situations where you could infect other people. This means any situation where you may come in close contact with others (face to face contact closer than 1 metre for more than 15 minutes), such as social gatherings, work, school, child care/pre-school centres, university, polytechnic and other education providers, faith-based gatherings, aged care and health care facilities, prisons, sports gatherings, restaurants, and all public gatherings.

Should I be self-isolating?

If you have been in, or transited through, mainland China since 2 February 2020 or in the Hubei Province in the last 14 days, you may have been exposed to, and infected with, the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Please note that mainland China does not include Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan.

For some people it may take up to two weeks before symptoms present if they have been infected. So, to keep you and others safe, you should isolate yourself from other people for 14 days from the time you left or transited through mainland China, or were exposed to novel coronavirus.

If you are unsure if you should be self-isolating, or if you do not know where you can go, please contact Healthline for free onĀ 0800 358 5453.

Where can I find information on self-isolation?

Please refer to the Ministry of Health website for more information on self-isolation.

Support for those in self-isolation

If you are in self-isolation in New Zealand and are not staying in university accomodation, we recommend registering your details with Healthline by calling 0800 358 5453. Healthline is currently running a health support programme for any person in self-isolation to check on their wellbeing and welfare. For more information, click here.

If you are in self-isolation in New Zealand and are staying in university accomodation, please inform your accomodation staff immediately if you have not done so already. Please be sure to read and follow the Ministry of Health’s guide to self-isolation.

Discrimination and racism

What should I do if I am being discriminated against?

If you are experiencing any issues with discrimination, please contact the Human Rights Commission at 0800 496 877 or make a complaint using their online complaint form.

Discriminatory landlords or other accommodation providers

If you are needing help finding accommodation or dealing with discriminatory landlords, please contact the Tertiary Education Commission helpline at 0800 123 797.

General updates & information

For novel coronavirus updates from the Ministry of Health, please click here.

For novel coronavirus updates from the Ministry of Education, please click here.

For the most recent novel coronavirus update from Education NZ, please click here.

For the most recent novel coronavirus update from Immigration NZ, please click here.

See information for international students on NauMai NZ and the ENZ WeChat account.

Contact us

To contact NZISA, please click here.